Abroswer Will Load Every Page But The One I Really Need/Want . . . .

16 respostas [Última entrada]
TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

Hello,
I feel like I've joined the forum and it seems I'm complaining or having issues with the most simple things, my apologies. I'm a very very new linux user.
So, my 1st post was not being able to connect to my VPN provider Mullvad, which it seems like it's a kernel issue, so perfect I'll troubleshoot that ( Thank you everyone for help with that issue ).
Here's the issue now. Mullvad.net will not load on this computer, every other site will from startpage to searx to xda to ebay and so on . . . Mullvad did load 2 days ago and now "connection has timed out". Mullvad.net will load on my other machines wired or wireess without any issues.
So, my question is, what could have caused 1 on my network to have stopped loading this 1 specific site (mullvad.net) but yet I can load any other website ?
I hope I'm explaining this clear enough.
Thanks everyone for their time, patience, and comments.
Have a great evening !!

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

That's odd. First, to determine whether or not this is an Abrowser issue, run

$ curl -L mullvad.net

(if curl is not installed then install it via Synaptic or with "sudo apt install curl")

This should print to the terminal the HTML source for Mullvad's homepage. If it works, then this is probably an issue with Abrowser. If not, then there's something else going on. See what happens and we'll take it from there.

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

Hello,
This is the terminal output :

curl: (7) Failed to connect to mullvad.net port 80: Connection timed out

Thank you for helping me. I truly appreciate it !!

I installed Midori and its doing the same thing. I don't know what I could have done. I am assuming I did something, but what and how is beyond me.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> curl: (7) Failed to connect to mullvad.net port 80: Connection timed out

Okay, if you can't connect with curl either then that rules out Abrowser
as the problem. It's odd that this is the only site affected. What is
the current state of your OpenVPN setup? I understand that you were not
able to get it working, but is it completely disable at this time?

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

See, to me that's what makes this so strange. I never got the VPN working and now I can't get on mullvad.net to download the config files to see if I can get the VPN working.
I don't have a clue, how to fix this or where to even begin to even attempt to fix this or even how this could happen. What do you suggest I do ??

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I don't have a clue, how to fix this or where to even begin to even
> attempt to fix this or even how this could happen. What do you suggest
> I do ??

I have a hunch your failed attempt to configure OpenVPN might be causing
the problem. I'm not sure exactly how, but it seems like too large of a
coincidence that the only domain you can't connect to is that of the VPN
provider you were attempting to configure for.

Lets start fresh. Run

$ sudo apt purge openvpn

to remove openvpn and its configuration files. Then reboot, and see if
you can access mullvad.net. If you can, download the configuration
files, run

$ sudo apt install openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome

to reinstall openvpn, and apply the config files as Mullvad instructs.

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

I 100% agree, it is way to much of a coincidence. I've done those steps you listed above and mullvad still won't load. I've purged and reintalled OpenVPN and still not working. But I will do it again, just incase.

Nope still can't access mullvad.net

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I've done those steps you listed above and mullvad still won't load.
> I've purged and reintalled OpenVPN and still not working.

Weird. It must be something else then. Can you connect to Mullvad
from a live USB?

You could probably connect to Mullvad using Tor Browser, btw, if you
just want to download the config files.

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

I never thought of that, but I bet you're right. I just don't mess around in TOR at all. I'll have to see how to boot to a USB as I haven't done that since I installed libreboot and not sure if its the typical F12 at boot to get into boot options.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I never thought of that, but I bet you're right. I just don't mess
> around in TOR at all.

Why not? While a VPN is better for some uses (Tor is unsuitable for
BitTorrent for example), in most situations Tor is better. With a VPN,
you have a single point of failure. Your IP address and web traffic are
both visible to the VPN, which is enough to identify you even if you
avoid payment records by paying Mullvad with cash, and like with all
VPNs we have only their word that they don't keep logs. With Tor, only
the entry node sees your IP address and only the exit node sees your
traffic, so an attacker would need to attack both nodes at once in order
to identify you.

> I'll have to see how to boot to a USB as I haven't done that since I
> installed libreboot and not sure if its the typical F12 at boot to get
> into boot options.

With libreboot you press 'u'. At least that's how it works on my X60
and X200.

fict10n
Desconectado
Joined: 12/20/2019

On 8.1.2020 20:20, name at domain wrote:

> Why not? While a VPN is better for some uses (Tor is unsuitable for
> BitTorrent for example), in most situations Tor is better. With a VPN,
> you have a single point of failure. Your IP address and web traffic are
> both visible to the VPN, which is enough to identify you even if you
> avoid payment records by paying Mullvad with cash, and like with all
> VPNs we have only their word that they don't keep logs. With Tor, only
> the entry node sees your IP address and only the exit node sees your
> traffic, so an attacker would need to attack both nodes at once in order
> to identify you.

To use Tor without VPN is naive and dangerous.
Everybody should read this first: https://restoreprivacy.com/tor/

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

Why do people say not to use a VPN with TOR ?? I would think you should use a VPN, but the TOR site said or says not to ( I feel like I've read on their site you don't need to use a VPN, but this was a year or so ago, maybe things have changed )

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> Why do people say not to use a VPN with TOR ?? I would think you
> should use a VPN, but the TOR site said or says not to ( I feel like
> I've read on their site you don't need to use a VPN, but this was a
> year or so ago, maybe things have changed )

I have read reasons that

You -> Tor -> VPN -> Website

could be problematic, but as far as I know

You -> VPN -> Tor -> Website

should be fine

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

Whats the speed using your X60 with TOR ? Is it remarkable slow ? Is TOR safe to use as your everyday browser like firefox ? I'm just curious as I know nothing about it, except the boogieman stories online, and that its a safe place for activist, journalist, people who want to express themselves but they can't bc of the brutal government of their country.
If it's a safe and reliable tool to use then, I'd only use TOR and have somewhat of a buffer from my privacy being invaded.

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> Whats the speed using your X60 with TOR ?

Tor Browser used to be quite slow, but it has gotten better, partly
because Tor itself is no longer as slow as it used to be, and partly
because Firefox has gotten faster. It takes a while to start up

> Is TOR safe to use as your everyday browser like firefox ?

I guess that depends on what you need from an "everyday browser." Tor
is not infallible. If you require complete anonymity, you need to avoid
certain browsing habits in order to prevent being fingerprinted, which
may or may not be feasible depending on what you need to do. Passive
browsing on sites that work okay without JavaScript is one thing, but
say you need to log into your bank's website. This will likely require
you to enable JavaScript, and of course once you provide your
credentials you aren't anonymous. In this case, Tor will at least
provide location privacy by hiding your IP address, but it will not hide
your identity, and it will reveal to your bank that you use Tor. Is
that worth the tradeoff? That depends on your needs.

If you connect to Tor directly, your ISP will also know that you use
Tor. If this is a problem for you, then connect to Tor through a VPN as
suggested by that article shared by the other poster. (Specifically, a
configuration of You->VPN->Tor->Website, and not
You->Tor->VPN->Website). However, if it is not important to hide the
fact that you use Tor, I don't think it is a bad thing to help normalize
it. When people use Tor for normal things, it makes the act of using
Tor less suspicious in general, which makes things safer for people who
rely on anonymity for their safety.

[1] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tor_Browser

> If it's a safe and reliable tool to use then, I'd only use TOR and
> have somewhat of a buffer from my privacy being invaded.

Tor was enough to keep Edward Snowden safe. (Specifically, he used
TailsOS, Debian-based distribution which routes all traffic through
Tor.) But you do need to understand how to use it and what the
potential pitfalls are, and it does not hurt to also use a VPN (again,
with a configuration of You->VPN->Tor->Website, not
You->Tor->VPN->Website).

TheGoodFight
Desconectado
Joined: 10/07/2019

I guess I'm giving up on being able to fix this Mullvad issue. I did what you said and brought the config file over, but due to the older kernel OpenVPN won't work on Trisquel without updating the kernel. I'm not that "techy" to preform that action. Do you suggest a trustworthy VPN provider that will work with Trisquel right out of the box ? If so please let me know.
Thanks !!

chaosmonk

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/07/2017

> I guess I'm giving up on being able to fix this Mullvad issue. I did
> what you said and brought the config file over, but due to the older
> kernel OpenVPN won't work on Trisquel without updating the kernel.

I didn't realize this. I thought it was just the Mullvad client.

> I'm not that "techy" to preform that action.

Trisquel has a 4.15 kernel in the repositories. You can install it with

$ sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-8.0

You can also install an even newer kernel from jxself's repository.[1]

> Do you suggest a trustworthy VPN provider that will work with Trisquel
> right out of the box ?

You could try RiseupVPN.[2] Their service is donation-based (although
if you use it you should donate to help keep it sustainable), so like
when you pay Mullvad with cash, your traffic isn't linked to any payment
records.

[1] https://jxself.org/linux-libre/

[2] https://riseup.net/en/vpn