Abrowser 23.0 not displaying text

18 respostas [Última entrada]
TestingTe

View an image of the problem here:

https://f92fac806bf10a96c0b8-8a0a46e5f1a5cc9854958bc3503f0f88.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/media_entries/4504/bug.jpg

This is a fairly recent happening, and has forced me to use alternatives such as Rekonq and Midori; neither of which have greasemonkey, which I use for Linterna Magica (plugin that converts videos on sites such as youtube to html5).

This text problem occurs on a great ammount of sites, even when all extensions, addons, languages, etc. are disabled and in safe mode.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Or am I the only guy who's getting this?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I do not have that problem on the same page you are showing in the image.

TestingTe

This also occurs in YouTube, Tumblr... only few sites are spared :/

You do have same version, yes? (Just wanna verify)

I wonder if I need to install some fonts or sommat..

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I use Abrowser 23. Like you. No problem here.

dadix

I think you must disable Shockwave Flash add-on but I am not sure. ( I have disabled this add-on)

Midori has an option to allow script like Viewtube to run. Enter in Edit -> Preference -> Extensions and activate the option: User Addons. Then you can install scripts like Viewtube. But the Trisquel version of Midori is very old.
You can see what script you have installed in : Tools -> Userscripts (here you may add, remove, edit your installed scripts)

I have installed in Abrowser : Scriptish not Greasemonkey and I don't have this problem.

TestingTe

I've tried disabling all the addons and extensions, followed by restarting the browser. No changes :/
I'll have to look into that midori plugin, thx.

Matthew B.

On 08/21/2013 12:16 PM, name at domain wrote:
> View an image of the problem here:
>
> https://f92fac806bf10a96c0b8-8a0a46e5f1a5cc9854958bc3503f0f88.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/media_entries/4504/bug.jpg
>
>
> This is a fairly recent happening, and has forced me to use
> alternatives such as Rekonq and Midori; neither of which have
> greasemonkey, which I use for Linterna Magica (plugin that converts
> videos on sites such as youtube to html5).
>
> This text problem occurs on a great ammount of sites, even when all
> extensions, addons, languages, etc. are disabled and in safe mode.
>
> Does anyone have a fix for this? Or am I the only guy who's getting this?
Well it would seem you are the only one as I am not having this issue.
If you cant get it to work you could also try Qupzilla until you find a
fix it is FLOSS just search for it in your favourite search engine its
quite nice

andrew

On 22/08/13 04:16, librefree2013 wrote:
> This text problem occurs on a great ammount of sites, even when all
> extensions, addons, languages, etc. are disabled and in safe mode.

Try disabling hardware acceleration:

Go to Abrowser > Preferences > Tools > General tab > uncheck "Use
hardware acceleration when available". Then restart Abrowser and see if
it works.

Andrew.

TestingTe

Still no change; thanks for the suggestion though.

andrew

On 22/08/13 11:59, librefree2013 wrote:
> Still no change; thanks for the suggestion though.

How strange.

Maybe try changing around the fonts in Abrowser > Preferences > Content
> Advanced?

Also, if you're desperate you could try using a new profile:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Keep in mind that your settings won't be carried over. If you have any
bookmarks, you can use the Bookmark Manager for exporting them:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Export_bookmarks

Andrew.

TestingTe

I've tried changing the fonts before (and have tried again) still no use. A new profile resulted in the same output >.< I even went so far as to remove ~/.mozilla...no good.

Though it appears as though I did get a step closer to the problem... (not that any sense can be made from it)

"(abrowser:3264): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Liberation Sans Bold 16', text='Phoronix'

(abrowser:3264): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Liberation Sans Bold 18.6669921875', text='Home'

(abrowser:3264): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Liberation Sans Bold 21.3330078125', text='Linux'

(abrowser:3264): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Liberation Sans Bold 17.3330078125', text='PHP5'

(abrowser:3264): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Liberation Sans Bold 14.6669921875', text='Phoronix'

(abrowser:3264): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Liberation Sans Bold 13.3330078125', text='OpenBenchmarking.org'"

This occurs no matter how often I change the fonts, but it appears to be connected.

(Also, the fonts settings were under Preferences>Content)

lembas

Maybe the font has become corrupted for whatever reason? Try removing and re-installing the fonts-liberation package.

Is your disk dying?

TestingTe

I have no clue how you came up with that answer, but it WORKED! @.@
In fact, just plain removing fonts-liberation allowed it to work.. I'm not entirely sure which package pulled it in.. (Emacs? Xmonad? Awesome? Stumpwm? Warmux? Rxvt-Unicode?)
As far as whether or not my disk is dying.. I sincerely hope not O-O it's an SSD (granted it's gone through a decent amount of full re-installations of OSs...)

Anywayz, I can finally set this as solved! (If I knew how xD) Thank you good sir!!

lembas

You're welcome and good to hear that's fixed!

The method to my madness was first to notice the error message mentioned Liberation sans bold which I knew to be a font. Then I searched my disk for Liberation to find the corresponding file and then I searched the packages to see which one this file came out from.

Don't know too much about SSDs but at least on a HDD if you've got large files you've bittorrented home, check their integrity. If you notice that many files are 99% percent intact, that could be an indicator of disk problems. (small scattered errors creeping up, bittorrent will notice that nicely) Besides that check the SMART parameters but only trust those if they say you do have a problem...

I never heard of somebody regretting they made backups! I had a disk die on me, it was painful and I don't recommend the experience to anybody.

TestingTe

SSDs work kinda like USBs, no moving parts in the drive.
And no, I've never torrent anything in me life ;P

lembas

>SSDs work kinda like USBs, no moving parts in the drive.
Yes, that's about as much as I know about it. But I don't know how they break.

>And no, I've never torrent anything in me life ;P
Let's change that! http://www.clearbits.net/

TestingTe

Digging a bit deeper, I found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=830110

Which suggests that manually added fonts causes the problem, and deleting the ~/.fonts folder fixes it.

The problem?

I have not downloaded anything that is not in the repos, and I've no ~/.fonts folder. The closest I have is a ~/.fontconfig folder which I already removed (it just respawns soon as Abrowser opens)

andrew

On 22/08/13 04:16, librefree2013 wrote:
> View an image of the problem here:
>
> https://f92fac806bf10a96c0b8-8a0a46e5f1a5cc9854958bc3503f0f88.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/media_entries/4504/bug.jpg
>
>
> This is a fairly recent happening, and has forced me to use
> alternatives such as Rekonq and Midori; neither of which have
> greasemonkey, which I use for Linterna Magica (plugin that converts
> videos on sites such as youtube to html5).

How new is your Trisquel installation? i.e. is it a brand new
installation, or an upgrade from an older version?

Andrew.

TestingTe

Brand new, just installed last week or so.