AMD HD 6310 APU Drivers

16 respostas [Última entrada]
BlinkingArrow

I am a member!

I want to install a Free Software driver for this card so I can get acceleration. I'm not sure if there's any driver for it or where to get it, so any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

I am a member!

AMD released specifications for its graphics chipsets so free drivers can be developed. However, 6xxx series cards 3d acceleration won't exist until at least the next version of Trisquel. I don't believe it will work then either though as a non-free driver is still necessary. That will be resolved eventually. Mesa 7.11 is needed for 3d acceleration with this card and I know that is missing in Trisquel 5 (7.10 is present).

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I hadn't heard about that. Great news! Is there a list somewhere of the graphics chipsets whose specs have been released? What about Radeon HD4200 for instance (my card, for which I don't have 3D acceleration with Trisquel). Is there any hope that I will have 3D acceleration with this card one day on a fully-free system?

Mampir

Is the issue with the binary-blob firmware resolved? This firmware is
needed for the 3D acceleration to work, and all AMD GPUs don't and won't
work with 3D acceleration in a free system like Trisquel.

This was discussed several times in this list/forum, for example here:
https://trisquel.info/en/forum/3d-and-free-software-trisquel#comment-4170

Chris

I am a member!

I was trying to be careful in my wording here as to suggest lack of knowledge. I do not know of any solution to this problem. I did not even know there was a non-free firmware component in ATI's graphics chipsets. If there is a solution being worked on to replace this firmware I would be interested in keeping tabs on it.

ivaylo

В 19:21 +0100 на 02.01.2012 (пн), chris[@nospam] написа:
> AMD released specifications for its graphics chipsets so free drivers can be
> developed.

What about firmware blobs? Documentation for older AMD/ATI cards was
also released, but the damn non-free firmware/microcode is still needed
for 3D.

3D was not a big deal as long as we had working 2D cards, but now
(~1year) at GNOME (Gnome Shell) are playing with 3D and are forcing it
to us. What happens if more desktop environments or programs pick that
habit? That will turn into serious problem, if not already. I for
instance had no chance to test Gnome Shell, because of firmware blobs
needed for my card. And I am part of a translation team and I have been
translating exactly Gnome Shell for few translation cycles.

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

The Fedora community is bringing a solution to GNOME Shell's current dependence to 3D acceleration. It will hopefully be ready for the upcoming Fedora 17 (to be released in May): https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

ivaylo

В 17:51 +0100 на 05.01.2012 (чт), magicbanana[@nospam] написа:
> The Fedora community is bringing a solution to GNOME Shell's current
> dependence to 3D acceleration.

I've heard/read about it, but it slipped out of my mind.

Chris

I am a member!

It had crossed my mind that there may be a non-free firmware component still for ATI graphics chipsets. This is something we look into frequently with new hardware. All of what I had read until now though gave me the impression ATI was fully cooperating in the development of free drivers and firmware.

I do have to wonder if it is absolutely necessary to withhold all information that would be useful in developing a free firmware replacement. Would it not be possible to simply remove the specifications for the DRM so that this particular feature is not available in the free firmware replacement? It would seem this would satisfy both perspectives. Free software users object to DRM and would not want it anyway. Unless this DRM is actively monitoring for copyright infringement and blocking such non-DRM'd content I would think that the hardware would simply not be able to decode encrypted materials. This would be of no loss to this community.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

The DRM issue is exactly what it boils down to. I don't have any official statements about it, but an ATI developer of the open source drivers stated it on a forum, that the firmware will not be open sourced, because it's where they handle the DRM.

At first I thought they have a problem with open sourcing the firmware because it might include some secrets about how the GPUs function, you know, stuff that makes it easier to copy their hardware. Bullshit. They just don't want people to play back HDTV or some other encoded material with free software. The fact that it makes gaming much more difficult in GNU/Linux also surely plays into Microsofts hands.

Sometimes I feel like all this stuff is just a dumb conspiracy theory. If only it wasn't so real...

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

How hard would it be reverse-engineer this infamous binary blob? Is it technically feasible by someone from the free software community, or almost impossible from a technical point of view? Does the community have all the necessary tools / knowledge / etc... or do we lack crucial information that makes it an impossible task?

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

I assume the community lacks programmers who are skilled enough and have enough spare time plus the will to do such a hard task. Maybe, if FSF would put this task on high priority and start a donations campaign that would go right to the Xorg people or whoever is working on the drivers right now, it would work out. But FSF doesn't regard 3D support as crucial.

Chris

I am a member!

I think they would be right. There are already free drivers from Intel. Intel's graphics chipsets have gotten more powerful too. The thing we need to focus on is flash. It may disappear faster than we can get something working though. Or so it seems at the rate it is progressing. Trisquel's flash support isn't terrible though. I can play quite a bit of video content on the web. It is a thousand times better than a few years ago.

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

How is a flash alternative important, if it will disappear faster, than we can get something working? I'm browsing without flash since youtube was watchable without. Now, with HTML5 and FlashVideoReplacer, I actually feel more convenient without flash on youtube than with it. No adverts in videos is a huge improvement over the usual youtube experience.

Chris

I am a member!

Notice the "though". I don't think flash is going away for a while and there are numerous sites dependent on it. Having better compatibility with Adobe's Flash player should make it easier to use a free operating system.

ivaylo

В 14:06 +0100 на 04.01.2012 (ср), name at domain написа:
> But FSF doesn't regard 3D support as crucial.

Not completely true. There is a high priority task at the FSF about a
free software driver for the Intel PowerVR 3D acceleration engine. [1]
[2]

[1] http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/#powervr
[2] http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:PowerVR_drivers

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

I won't comment on it seriously, because I can only make fun of it. "PowerVR is a popular 3D graphics engine", nuff said.