D-Link DWA-125 wireless dongle

3 respostas [Última entrada]
malberts

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Does anyone have any experience with the D-Link DWA-125 wifi dongle? I can get one of those cheapish. I've been unable to find any of the h-node dongles where I live.

http://www.kaustavdm.blogspot.com/2011/10/install-dwa-125-driver-on-ubuntu-1110.html#!/2011/10/install-dwa-125-driver-on-ubuntu-1110.html

The readme mentions that it's the rt2870 driver which is in non-free according to Debian (http://wiki.debian.org/rt2870sta). I'm assuming the "source" in the previous URL is for the driver and not the actual firmware (or whatever is is they stick in the binary blobs)?

Just to confirm, would this be a no-go?

Chris

I am a member!

That card definitely won't work. You are entering a minefield. You probably won't be able to locate a card with the chipset you need locally. What you want is a card with the rtl8187b or rtl8187l chipsets. The rtl8187b is what we sell in our 802.11G USB card and it works very well with Trisquel (and all other distributions for that matter).

There is also an ar9170 chipset that works with Trisquel now. We sell cards with this chipset too although aren't going to recommend it unless there is some reason you really need an 802.11N USB card. It doesn't work as well for typical users as the rtl8187b chipset.

Here is a link to our store:

ThinkPenguin.com

You would be looking at 6-10 days most likely (outside the United States- 2-3 within).

Check out this wikipedia article for more information. Whatever you do just make sure you get one where "Non-free firmware required" is no and "Integration in mainline" is yes.

FitzLT

Thanks for the link to this store--I never knew that place existed! I just recently installed Trisquel yesterday and am completely blown away by the quality of the distro. I am a bit bummed out that my intel 5100 can't be used, but I just went ahead and bought a dongle from the store.

Very impressed by everything overall. Thanks.

Chris

I am a member!

:)

We have been around since September of 2008.