Display issue with dual monitor Radeon HD6990, Trisquel 6.0

4 respostas [Última entrada]
stefounet

Hello,
On a fresh Trisquel 6.0 install, I am not able to get a satisfying display configuration.
Setup:
- ATI Radeon HD6990
- Two monitors of different resolutions (A:1920x1080 ; B: 1280x1024)
What I see:
- Right after the install, monitors are mirrored (duplicated display). Both monitors display 1280x1024, so fine on B, not fine on A.
- In the 'System Settings/Displays' screen, only one monitor appears. It is labelled 'Laptop' and shows a resolution of 1280x1024. The only available actions here are to reduce the resolution and to 'Detect displays', which does not do anything.

Here is part of what lspci -vnvn returns:

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Antilles [AMD Radeon HD 6990] [1002:671d] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:0b2a]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- SERR-
Kernel modules: radeon

05:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cayman/Antilles HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6900 Series] [1002:aa80]
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cayman/Antilles HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6900 Series] [1002:aa80]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

06:00.0 Display controller [0380]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Antilles [AMD Radeon HD 6990] [1002:671d]
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:1b2a]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Kernel modules: radeon

06:00.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cayman/Antilles HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6900 Series] [1002:aa80]
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cayman/Antilles HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6900 Series] [1002:aa80]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Also, note that everything works just fine under Ubuntu (the 'System Settings/Displays' screen shows that both screens' manufacturer and resolution are properly detected, and the necessary configuration tweaks are available).

Do you guys know what I should do in order to have an extended desktop with optimal resolution on both monitors ?
Thanks, and apologies if that question was already asked/answered before!
Stephane

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

I'm sorry to say, there is no easy solution.

The problem is, that Radeon cards are not supported by fully free drivers. Ubuntu uses a kernel with so called binary blobs, that are loaded by the drivers during runtime. In the case of Radeon cards these blobs include what is needed to fully utilize all the features, like 3D and 2D acceleration, multimonitor support, etc.

Because Trisquel respects your freedom and doesn't include any non-free code in it's kernel, all the hardware that needs the blobs to run correctly will show issues. I had to put up with a X850XT Radeon for a long time and hated it.

The sad truth is, AMD won't release a fully free driver or the documentation necessary to write one, because it will allow users to easily bypass the DRM they outfit the Radeons with.

You have two options that will make Trisquel work 100% with your dual monitor setup:
1. Buy a GeForce 9500GT from libre.thinkpenguin.com. It is the one GeForce with best support by the reverse engineered Nouveau driver. Don't buy a 9500GT somewhere else, because the chipsets in use may vary on different 9500s, without notification on the package. 25% of profits from this shop will go to Trisquel if you use the link I provided, or the link that is provided on the right side.
2. Buy a motherboard with an integrated Intel X4500 graphicscard, or a motherboard with the support for the new Core i CPUs. The built-in graphicscards from Intel run even better, there is a fully free software driver provided by Intel themselves.

You could also use just one monitor, but I don't suppose that's the answer you were looking for...

stefounet

Thank you Cyberhawk. That may be a deal breaker for me, as I was planning to use the HD6990 for gaming on another OS installed in dual boot on that same PC.
Anyway, thanks for your answer!

Cyberhawk

I am a translator!

You're welcome. You can game a lot on Trisquel if you use the graphicscards I mentioned. The ones for Core i CPUs should be the most powerful, then goes the 9500GT, then the X4500.

You can browse through here to see what games are included in the repos.

Interesting idea: Try setting up a dual-boot with, say, Mint and Trisquel. While Trisquel would be using the graphicscard strictly in 2D mode, Mint could utilize 3D acceleration. This would mean a compromise on your freedom, but it would be less of a compromise than having a dual-boot with Windows.

I'm not suggesting Ubuntu for this, because they really are loosing any respect I ever had for them. Lots of non-free software there and privacy issues and at some point they had Amazon ads inside the OS afaik.

t3g
t3g

I have an older Radeon card that the firmware is currently blocked, but I still get basic video support. I don't game on this machine and I am fine with the basic features for now until I get a new card.

You will find out that Trisquel "respects your freedom" by basically making hardware that you paid for not work. LOL.