how to encrypt a USB stick

12 respostas [Última entrada]
kerdadit
Desconectado
Joined: 06/06/2018

I understand that the best way to encrypt a USB flash drive is to have an encrypted partition with the files and then an un-encrypted partition with the encryption software stored so that you can open your files on any operating system. But many tutorials seem to recommend encryption software which I don't think is free, such as Veracrypt and some others. I thought it would be easier to just ask here. What is the best way to do this?

Narcis Garcia
Desconectado
Joined: 04/15/2019

Did you try this?
gnome-disk-utility

It's very easy for GUI partitioning and encryption.

El 13/5/19 a les 10:23, name at domain ha escrit:
> I understand that the best way to encrypt a USB flash drive is to have
> an encrypted partition with the files and then an un-encrypted partition
> with the encryption software stored so that you can open your files on
> any operating system. But many tutorials seem to recommend encryption
> software which I don't think is free, such as Veracrypt and some others.
> I thought it would be easier to just ask here. What is the best way to
> do this?

kerdadit
Desconectado
Joined: 06/06/2018

Thanks for the tip, Narcis. I installed it but I'm not sure how to use it for this purpose. I will try to find some tutorials for it.

Narcis Garcia
Desconectado
Joined: 04/15/2019

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-encrypt-a-usb-flash-drive-with-gnome-disks/

El 14/5/19 a les 13:36, name at domain ha escrit:
> Thanks for the tip, Narcis. I installed it but I'm not sure how to use
> it for this purpose. I will try to find some tutorials for it.

FLOSS
Desconectado
Joined: 05/06/2018

This works brilliantly. Thank you.

kerdadit
Desconectado
Joined: 06/06/2018

thanks Narcis. I used that tutorial to encrypt my USB very easily. The one downside is that it only offered to encrypt it for GNU/Linux. So if I have a lapse in judgement and try to plug it into Windows or MacOS I won't be able to use it.

Narcis Garcia
Desconectado
Joined: 04/15/2019

El 15/5/19 a les 19:24, name at domain ha escrit:
> thanks Narcis. I used that tutorial to encrypt my USB very easily. The
> one downside is that it only offered to encrypt it for GNU/Linux. So if
> I have a lapse in judgement and try to plug it into Windows or MacOS I
> won't be able to use it.

LUKS is an open specification, and Microsoft is often unaware of this
sort of standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreCrypt

martinh
Desconectado
Joined: 02/21/2014

Best way would be have a "portable" app on the usb stick itself, although
I am not entirely sure if libre ones exist ( not sure, but something like 7zip or
peazip, both which encrypt files as well and are available as portable app, but I
do not think they are fully libre... might be wrong though).

Narcis Garcia
Desconectado
Joined: 04/15/2019

Portable application for Windows = Portable viruses

And viruses I'm sure aren't Libre.

El 15/5/19 a les 21:30, name at domain ha escrit:
> Best way would be have a "portable" app on the usb stick itself, although
> I am not entirely sure if libre ones exist ( not sure, but something
> like 7zip or
> peazip, both which encrypt files as well and are available as portable
> app, but I
> do not think they are fully libre... might be wrong though).

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/24/2010

They are free software. Trisquel even ships by default with the command-line port of 7-Zip. Another possibility is GnuPG, as we recently discussed on this forum: https://trisquel.info/forum/password-protected-directory

kerdadit
Desconectado
Joined: 06/06/2018

So I could put the GnuPG program on a USB stick and then put everything else in an encrypted archive on the stick and make my encrypted files portable to any operating system?

Magic Banana

I am a member!

Desconectado
Joined: 07/24/2010

GnuPG is available for the all the major operating systems, but those are different programs to run (executable files for GNU/Linux are different from those for Windows): https://gnupg.org/download/

alimiracle
Desconectado
Joined: 01/18/2014

zip your files
and use rosecrypt