NetGear PTV300 (Miracast Receiver) Firmware GPL v2

5 respostas [Última entrada]
m971668

NetGear's Push2TV PTV300 (miracast receiver) firmware is released with the GPL v2.
http://support.netgear.com/product/PTV3000#wrapper

I found this exciting.

ssdclickofdeath

Where's the source? I don't see it on that page.

m971668
Chris

I am a member!

I didn't look into the firmware for this device although am a bit skeptical it is actually 100% free. There are a lot of things that are GNU GPL licensed and not actually free due to bits of non-free software that the code is dependent on. That said it would be odd for them to release 100% of the code for the firmware of a device that appears to only work with MS Windows and is dependent on a proprietary technology from Intel called WiDi. Usually when devices like this (routers, smart phones, TVs, and similar devices) have "firmware" licensed under the GPL its really just some components within that are licensed under the GNU GPL. Because the product has some components derived from GNU GPL licensed code the company has to release the code for those components (and any changes made). Other components that are at a “higher level” of the software stack (like web interfaces, etc) are also contained in the firmware and these component are almost never released under the GNU GPL license. The interfaces aren't derived from any GNU GPL code so there is nothing forcing these companies to release the code. From what I gather Intel WiDi is not supported on GNU/Linux (as free software or otherwise).

m971668

Yes. It seems that many companies such as NetGear are willing to GPL code, but that piece is never a fully working unit. There is always some component/piece missing.

ThinkPenguin being dedicated to fully Free software is very important. At least one company is navigating this mess.

There needs to be more companies like ThinkPenguin in the USA. And much more volume sold.

It would be awesome to see financial incentives for chip and PCB designers to design hardware for GPL'ed software that expands the GNU Project to include that firmware/drivers.

I still find it interesting that Netgear is using the GPL v2. Maybe, someone who has the understanding and time would like to learn from Netgear's code, and discover the non-GPL'ed bits and reverse engineer those bits.

It is disappointing FSF hasn't gotten more involved with hardware...BIOS, UEFI, codexes, wireless, touch screens, digitizers, graphics, firmware, etc. Without KVM, what dev devices does GNU Hurd run on?

As you probably can guess I purchased this Netgear device for a non-free device. However, there isn't a choice here. There isn't a Intel Atom multitouch, stylus-digitizer tablet with wireless display endorsed by the FSF. As far as I know.

Legimet

Usually they release it only to comply with the GPL, I think.