Trisquel drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card

10 respostas [Última entrada]
Piriponzolo

Hi to everyone.
As I have read in this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver, that there are in Ubuntu the drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card, I would like to know if Trisquel 7 has the drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card. Thank you very much since now for the reply.

coder

there are no 100% FOSS drivers for radeon graphics cards, according to this wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_graphics_device_driver#ATI.2FAMD

AFAIK trisquel project is about including only 100% FOSS software so I guess radeon drivers are not going to be included in trisquel (unless aforementioned statement in wikipedia is no longer true, that is)

vita_cell

You can not have any 3d-2d or any graphics acceleration without non-free software if you use any ATI/AMD card. Modern AMD GPUs have free drivers, but still need non-free firmware loaded in the kernel for graphics acceleration and resolution detection. Without that non-free firmware you only get video output.

Time4Tea

Interesting. What about Nvidia?

coder

AFAIK nouveau (that's how FOSS driver for NVidia video adapters is called) is already included in Trisquel.

I occasionally run Trisquel 7 on my thinkpad w510 notebook (which has NVidia Quattro video adapter) from USB stick without installing it and it "just works".
I also tried to run Trisquel 4 on that same notebook and it worked as well, even though it has some 0.x version of nouveau according to synaptic package manager (Trisquel 7 has some 1.0.x version).

Also I saw strange "artifacts" when parts of my screen seem to be not updated when they should. Seen it with Trisquel 7 and Trisquel 6, but not on Trisquel 4 and Trisquel 5, so I guess it has something to do with Gnome desktop (Trisquel uses Gnome 3.x since Trisquel 5.5, all earlier versions of Trisquel used Gnome 2.x)

Time4Tea

Ok. I have an Nvidia graphics card on my desktop, but I haven't installed Trisquel on it yet. I'll check and see if nouveau works with it when I do.

Re. the 'artifacts': I'm kind of going off Gnome in general, tbh. There is a Java application I use that doesn't run at all well in Gnome with openJDK (but works fine in Lxde). I've been using Lxde on my laptop and it's great! Lightweight, simple and effective :D

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Intel graphical chipsets work the best.

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

>Intel graphical chipsets work the best.

Skylake and Kabylake need proprietary firmware AFAIK

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

According to Chris:

There appears to be no difference in performance between including the non-free bits and not including the non-free bits. Our conclusion of a performance difference was partly wrong. The older chips appear to be outperforming the Skylake chips for some reason. This might be due to lack of full support for Skylake with the latest kernels or the need for a newer version of X than what we have installed.
https://trisquel.info/forum/skylake-desktop-graphics-test-results

I actually have a Kabylake processor. I had no problem installing Trisquel 7. I then directly installed the latest kernel from https://jxself.org/linux-libre/ (because I was pretty sure the support for Kabylake improved). Well, I can play Hedgewars with no problem... :-)

SuperTramp83

I am a translator!

That's very good to know, senor Magique! :)

EDIT: also, I see you like hedgewars, so I'd like to invite you to join the #lgn chan in IRC freenode. There are a couple of us that like playing that game (although we all suck badly at it)

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I have actually not played in months. I used to play Shoppa, the mode for rope superstars. ;-)