Where's the right place to report bugs with the newest 4.16 linux libre kernel?

8 respostas [Última entrada]
GrevenGull

Title

jxself

Depends on the bug and whose kernel you're using (mine?) You haven't really said.

If it's from my repository and can be traced to a .config problem please tell me. If it's from my repository and it's NOT a .config problem, then it depends:

* If it's a problem cause by deblobbing (unlikely but you never know) that should go to Alexandre Oliva ("lxo" on IRC) as the maintainer of Linux-libre.
* If it's NOT a .config problem and NOT a deblobbing problem then that means it's a problem inherited from the mainline kernel at kernel.org and problem reports should go there.

If you're not sure which category the bug falls in please use the various Linux-libre support channels (like #linux-libre on irc.freenode.net and the Linux-libre mailing list at http://www.fsfla.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/linux-libre.)

But: The Trisquel forums are most certainly not the right place. Unless you can say that the kernel problems are somehow being caused by a problem in Trisquel...

So it all depends...

GrevenGull

Thanks!

The bug is that when I pit the computer to hibernate, I am not able to connect to internet when I unhibernate the pc. I was using wired internet on an iMac.

jxself

That is probably going to be a bug inherited from upstream.

GrevenGull

What does that mean?

And oh I am sorry I forgot to add, yes I am using your repository, the one where I get the latest all the time no matter what :)

.. well I was using that :P haha

jxself

"What does that mean?"

It's probably a problem inherited from the mainline kernel at kernel.org.
See https://trisquel.info/en/forum/wheres-right-place-report-bugs-newest-416-linux-libre-kernel#comment-130058 where I mentioned that there might be three different places to report problems, depending on the specific kind of problem. Your description sounds like the last kind of problem mentioned there where "if it's NOT a .config problem and NOT a deblobbing problem, then..."

GrevenGull

> It's probably a problem inherited from the mainline kernel at kernel.org.

kernel.org, that's another place to get Linux Libre kernels?

> See https://trisquel.info/en/forum/wheres-right-place-report-bugs-newest-416-linux-libre-kernel#comment-130058 where I mentioned that there might be three different places to report problems, depending on the specific kind of problem.

I saw that comment, but my technical skills/knowledge are limited/non-existent and I couldn't figure out where my bug would fit from the information you provided.

> Your description sounds like the last kind of problem mentioned there where "if it's NOT a .config problem and NOT a deblobbing problem, then..."

Okay, why though? How did you arrive at that conclusion?

onpon4

> kernel.org, that's another place to get Linux Libre kernels?

No, kernel.org is the Linux website. As in Linux, the standard mainline version, the one that has all the proprietary blobs in it. The one that Linus Torvalds develops.

Linux-libre is just a project that strips away proprietary components from Linux. Linux-libre is downstream from Linux, and Linux is Linux-libre's upstream (because changes to Linux affect Linux-libre).

GrevenGull

> No, kernel.org is the Linux website. As in Linux, the standard mainline version, the one that has all the proprietary blobs in it. The one that Linus Torvalds develops.

Ooh, pardon me.

> Linux-libre is just a project that strips away proprietary components from Linux. Linux-libre is downstream from Linux, and Linux is Linux-libre's upstream (because changes to Linux affect Linux-libre).

Aaa, thank you thank you :)