5 respostas [Última entrada]
Issues

can i get my Centrino Wireless-N 1030 to work withe trisquel
if yes how to do so step by step
trisquel now wont even recognise a wirles card or network on my laptop
i do not know anything about linux only that i want it

muhammed

I think that someone here will be able to help. I'm just here to nit-pick:

Linux is one of many programs that make up our system. It's misleading (and gives undue credit) to call the whole system Linux.

This community cares about software freedom, as the GNU Project set out in 1983. All the programs that make up our system are checked for compliance with the GNU principles.

I think that it is more accurate to call the system GNU. This name describes our philosophical motivation. GNU applies to all the programs that make up the system.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know enough abuot wifi drivers to actually be helpful >_>

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Unfortunately for you, this Intel wireless card depends on a non-free piece of firmware, which is not distributed by Trisquel due to its non-free nature. You can either replace your wifi card by a freedom-friendly card, or use a USB wireless adapter (see https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux for models guaranteed to work with Trisquel).

bluejupiter

I got a dongle online a couple years ago that simply plugs into the USB port and it works perfectly. If there is no free alternative for your wireless card, that's what I would suggest, as it worked fo rme.

Issues

so botom line is this card is made by satan and i cant use it
rather than making a purchase for a dongle i just went in the basment and made a 15 meter utp cable i gues if you want to be truly free wifi isent a smart move anyway.
thank you bothe for your ansers

Chris

I am a member!

Replacing the internal wifi card is a pain with a lot of systems now. HP, Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo/IBM implement digital restrictions to prevent users from replacing there wifi card with another. Companies make significant money off of after-warranty part sales and so forcing individuals and repair companies to go through them is extremely profitable.

Now there have been changing excuses over the years as to why they have implemented these restrictions although the bottom line is these excuses are a lie. Originally they were saying it was due to FCC regulations. However there is no such regulation and the FCC explicitly wrote out a policy making it clear that there is no requirement to white list (restrict) the cards.

In any case most if not all other companies ship without these restrictions on this standard slot. That includes our laptops and desktops (I'm the CEO of ThinkPenguin).

And of course there are other issues to be concerned about with any MS Windows system or system sold by other companies supporting GNU/Linux. Most (or all) are shipping systems which are not free software friendly. You may miss out on things like suspend to ram, 3d acceleration, and wireless support. Some of these may be less critical depending on your needs. The wireless card can be replaced in most of these systems with one that is free software friendly (other than from the companies above).