New User Problems

26 respostas [Última entrada]
hamptondav
Desconectado
Joined: 12/24/2013

I loaded Trisquel as side by side with Windows XP and now, while I can boot Trisquel, I cannot boot Windows. I starts and then goes to a blue screen and shuts down. I can access all of my windows files in Linux but cannot boot Windows.

sebelius
Desconectado
Joined: 08/22/2013

I'm not entirely sure whether this will work or not, but it's worth a try(in my opinion).

Open a terminal and type: sudo grub-update
Then reboot and see if you can boot into Windows.

Edit:
The command might actually be: sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then reboot.

hamptondav
Desconectado
Joined: 12/24/2013

I tried the sudo grub-update and the longer version. They took but I still boot to a blue screen after "starting windows".

hamptondav
Desconectado
Joined: 12/24/2013

-Results of sudo ..Command in terminal

david@david-LifeBook-T4220:~$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: trisquel-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-38-generic-pae
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-38-generic-pae
Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sda1
done
david@david-LifeBook-T4220:~$

SalmanMohammadi
Desconectado
Joined: 02/23/2012
hamptondav
Desconectado
Joined: 12/24/2013

I am working with Windows XP Tablet Edition

grimlok
Desconectado
Joined: 04/16/2013

What is the message that you get when the blue screen comes up?

hamptondav
Desconectado
Joined: 12/24/2013

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disc defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

***STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X8A7619F8, 0X0000102,0X00000000)"

I ran chkdsk /f from the Linux side and it came up with no problems.

ivaylo
Desconectado
Joined: 07/26/2010

В 22:18 +0100 на 01.01.2014 (ср), name at domain написа:
> a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
>
> ***STOP: 0X00000024 (0X00190203, 0X8A7619F8, 0X0000102,0X00000000)
>
> I ran chkdsk /f from the Linux side and it came up with no problems.

Normally you wouldn't receive help for such problems here, because
using proprietary software is your own problem, but since you are a
newcomer and you are considering/decided to give up free software at
all, the following might help.

I've seen something similar last year as a part of educational project
in a high school. GNU/Linux was installed side by side to some version
of Windows, which wasn't able to boot. The problem was in the NTFS
partition that Windows used. We were able fix it from GNU/Linux by
running some NTFS-related utilities. I assume (I forgot) they were the
ntfsfix and ntfsck programs coming from the ntfs-3g package.

If that is the case, you probably can't mount the NTFS partition on
GNU/Linux.

Assuming the device is sda and the Windows partition is the first one:

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 2048 409599 203776 86 NTFS volume set
...

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

_Some error_

or

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt

_Some error_

If it mounts, unmount the partition with:

sudo umount /mnt

If there is no error you can still try to fix the partition with
ntfsfix. Try the dry-run first.

sudo ntfsfix -n /dev/sda1

If there is nothing scary looking, execute the command without the -n option.

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda1

Try the ntfsck program as well

sudo ntfsck /dev/sda1

Reboot.

If you don't use any specialized software on Windows you
should be able to live without it. It will be a little awkward at the
beginning. That is all. Good luck.

antiesnob
Desconectado
Joined: 08/22/2013

I think the problem is due to the partitioning you made and WinXP didn't understood the change or some issue about it. So that, this is not a Trisquel community problem but a Windows problem. You should post the blue screen problem on some Windows forum.

On the other side, it could be a hardware problem. Check the following:

- ATA/SATA cables connections and defects.
- Power cable of the HDD conecction and defects.
- Memory problem. You can check if it works fine with Trisquel's live CD.
- HDD Problem. You can check it with the live CD of Trisquel, maybe with Gparted too. Perhaps, it is a sector of the disk problem when the WXP OS tries to access. If this is the case you can try using something like chkdsk. There's also an utility named "HDD regenerator" which restore sectors that were marked as a bad sector but it is not; however, this one is privative software for Windows which it is also a privative software.

jxself
Conectado
Joined: 09/13/2010

Wait... Someone can't boot Windows anymore? This is good news, right? :)

antiesnob
Desconectado
Joined: 08/22/2013

He CAN boot to Windows but that OS doesn't load. This is not good news but its funny for us. However, we should remember that Trisquel "allows" to have a Windows OS in order to get more users into linux systems. This is a bad news because it will afraid this user (or others) to get/try linux/Trisquel.

ps: Even though I'm beeing serious for that reason, I can laugh at private (on your joke).

ivaylo
Desconectado
Joined: 07/26/2010

В 03:19 +0100 на 02.01.2014 (чт), name at domain написа:
> Wait... Someone can't boot Windows anymore? This is good news, right? :)

From freedom point of view and for the long term, yes. But as we see
he is now in doubt and might not try at all free software distribution
again, because he is out of his comfort zone. Dual boot is essential
from newcomer's perspective until they get used to the new
environment.

axgb
Desconectado
Joined: 09/22/2013

I had the issue when I installed Trisquel. I resolved it by booting a Gparted LiveCd, and getting rid of the windows partition. Obviously this solution will not work for him, just saying that it is clearly a software issue with maybe GRUB

hamptondav
Desconectado
Joined: 12/24/2013

To those of you who tried to help. Thanks. To those of you who had a laugh at the expense of a 71 year old trying a new thing, get a life!!
I reloaded my Windows and restored my system (which I completely backed up before this misadventure). I am back to normal and will leave the new frontier of free software to you youngsters. When I started college we used a slide rule and thought we were high tech. I guess I will stay with Windows. It's a ripoff but at least I understand it.

quiliro@congresolibre.org
Desconectado
Joined: 10/28/2010

El 03/01/14 22:58, name at domain escribió:
> To those of you who tried to help. Thanks. To those of you who had a
> laugh at the expense of a 71 year old trying a new thing, get a life!!
> I reloaded my Windows and restored my system (which I completely
> backed up before this misadventure). I am back to normal and will
> leave the new frontier of free software to you youngsters. When I
> started college we used a slide rule and thought we were high tech. I
> guess I will stay with Windows. It's a ripoff but at least I
> understand it.

We never had a laugh at your expense. We find your effort a great
example. My father is going to be 91 tomorrow and he uses Trisquel with
no problems. He magnifies the screen with Magnifier!

Please don't give up. We are not giving up on you! It would be very sad
if you would. I hope you come back when you feel you can make it. We
will always try to help.

GNUser
Desconectado
Joined: 07/17/2013

-.- they did again... the "free software Pharisees" with their "I know better" attitude, just turned another person away from Trisquel OS/ Trisquel Community.

Seriously, you guys can't think about the people before you think of the software?? It was a man who was trying to use free software and you made him go back to windows because you thought "it's good that he can't boot windows", even if he probably needed to boot windows to use his computer until he got the hang of things on Trisquel! Even worse, it was an older person who should have been treated with a little bit more respect!

I am probably angry about the fact that he rejected free software and not just Trisquel, people here actually worked AGAINST the free software movement, and ANY free software project out there.

hamptondav, if you still come here again and would like to give it another go, I would be happy to help you. Just ignore the trolls here who think everyone should run free software even if they can't run it. Really, I know that Linux and Windows never played well together, but there are workarounds, and maybe we can find one for you :)

quantumgravity
Desconectado
Joined: 04/22/2013

+1

Very sad....

antiesnob
Desconectado
Joined: 08/22/2013

+2

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 02/01/2011

-1

What the hell are you talking about? This community is amazingly friendly and helpful. Many people tried to help (although it's definitely not the right forum for that). jxself's comment was just a funny one-liner, and he never attacked nor belittled the original poster. Did you even read the thread? Or were you too busy writing another of your self-aggrandizing and narcissistic rants? By the way, how old are you?

Anyway, I understand you still don't use Trisquel, still don't share the project's ideals and still don't respect the community's guidelines, so will you please get the hell out of here?

GNUser
Desconectado
Joined: 07/17/2013

Well, I suppose you and a few others would love to see me out of here, but as I have said before, that is not happening... so back off! -.^

As for the thread itself, guess what, he asked IN THE RIGHT FORUM, because Trisquel was the reason that his boot process broke! Now, we know that M$ has no interest in dual booting, but from a user point of view, "windows is working, I install trisquel, windows works no more, trisquel did someting wrong". Right?? So, he asked here.
Yes many people tried to help, I am not saying the entire group was wrong with the newcomer. I am saying that the mindset "it's your problem because it's proprietary software" and "we shouldn't help you running windows only run trisquel" is wrong when pointed towards a newcomer!
And let's be honest, jxself's comment was not a "funny one liner". It was him (again) thinking only about "run free software" instead of thinking of the people behind the software! There are people here (he included) that will say "you computer is not working properly? but is it running free software? GREAT, YOU HAVE FREEDOM REJOICE". Don't you see that acting like that is being (for the lack of a better word) a douche? Especially for newcomers. People who I wish will use free software and turn away because they feel they are only important here when they say "I run only FSF approved software". When they say "I am running trisquel but I will get fired if I don't get this work done by tomorrow and need a piece of proprietary software to run, can you guys help me out please??" they are flamed and take the "quit your job, work at a factory, be free" speech.

as I have said, I am not angry he turned away from Trisquel only, I am angry he turned away from free software at all! Read his post man, he was a 71 year old man, who was trying to use free software for the first time, aked for help, felt mistreated by us (the community) and decided not to use free software again! How can you say that is not something we should STOP AND THINK ABOUT? Don't you see that this time we SCREWED UP BIG TIME?? Even me, for not helping him (I only saw the thread after he quit unfortunately). So yeah, I am a part of this community and I also feel I was on the wrong with this person. Do you think the people who actually had a laugh at him were not worse?
WE CAUSED a person to TURN AWAY from free software. Do you have any idea of the implications? What this thread did was the clear OPPOSITE os the FSF goal (bring people to free software). If that is not something for us to think about, I don't know what is....

And don't waste time replying to me, I won't reply to you, it's all here "he who has hears, let him hear".

ivaylo
Desconectado
Joined: 07/26/2010

В 00:26 +0100 на 05.01.2014 (нд), gnuser@nospam написа:
> I am saying that the mindset "it's your problem because
> it's proprietary software" and "we shouldn't help you running windows only
> run trisquel" is wrong when pointed towards a newcomer!

Since the quoted text looks like a copy of my message, I feel
obligated to reply.

Dual booting is essential from a newcomer's point of view, but that
does not mean people here should help fix that in all cases. It
depends on the situation, how much damage it would do and on everybody
to decide can he/she help. The general rule is to not help at all with
proprietary software. Excluding few who try to actively promote
non-free software and justify it, even in this free software community
people have different tolerance to proprietary software related
problems as shades of dark as they might look to outsiders and
newcomers.

There are grey areas and compromises which might or might not bring
another person to free software. The bad thing with compromises with
proprietary software is that after a few they start adding up
exponentially.

This is a free software only community and distribution. Not "linux",
not open source, not proprietary drivers/blobs/firmware, not "but it
works for me I need it I don't care about licenses help me"
etc. etc. The majority of the people here want full control on their
hardware and software. Using, recommending and helping with
proprietary software is not an option and will never be here. If it is
someday, it means the community failed. Still everybody is free to do
whatever he/she wants with his computer and on his own, including
running and using proprietary software, if the user still believes
he/she "needs" it. But help for proprietary software should not be
expect here.

The general user that does not use specialized software does not
really need proprietary software. It is all habits, fear of change,
awkwardness with the transition and the new environment. I've been
there, believe me. There was nobody to help me, I've managed it on my
own by reading manuals and tutorials. You claim the community here is
not helping newcomers. The open source and so called "Linux" community
was not helpful at all to me - reticule, "go read the manual
newbie". On the contrary the free software and GNU(/Linux) one always
was. People here are friendly and help as much as they can.

If there are people here that think it is normal to help with
proprietary software they are free to do it off the list/forum. No one
can stop them. Doing it on the list is kind of trolling.

Newcomers should be helped as much as possible, especially with
information why one should use only free software, but helping at any
cost with proprietary software is too much to ask. Helping users bring
their proprietary software and habits into a free software
distribution would solve nothing. You cannot help someone that does
not want help. Freedom and free software cannot be forced to
people. It must be their choice. If they are not willing to give up
proprietary software this community and distribution probably is not
for them and could not help them. Such users will always see the short
term convenience and technical benefits (if any) in proprietary
software.

> When they say "I am running trisquel but I will get fired if I don't get this
> work done by tomorrow and need a piece of proprietary software to run, can
> you guys help me out please??" they are flamed and take the "quit your job,
> work at a factory, be free" speech.

I'm here for a lot longer than you and I've never seen such drastic
suggestions. Calling a flame the main idea behind a community is trolling.

> Read his post man, he was a 71 year old man, who was trying to use
> free software for the first time, aked for help, felt mistreated by
> us (the community) and decided not to use free software again!

> WE CAUSED a person to TURN AWAY from free software. …

Could you stop stressing on his age? That was revealed in his last
message. It should not be of such importance. Free software is for
everybody. Before his last message nobody knew, neither that this was
his first attempt to use free software or GNU/Linux distribution.

As for the mistreatment… a newcomer could always feel mistreated in a
new community, because he/she is not familiar with its ways.

This thread developed on the 31st of December until 1st of January
when it is known fact that most people are probably doing something
else than using a computer and reading mail and forum messages. People
here participate on their own time and answer when they can. Responses
after a 3-4-5-6 days period are kind of normal for such list/forum.

The conversation happened in a 24 hour window and after three days
silence, the person decided to just give up. In fact having the time
of year and the responses in mind, he actually got a lot of
help. Except for my late message no one else mentioned proprietary
software and refused help. Silence does not always means refusal to
help. Have it occurred to you that there might be nobody that could
actually help? What I've wrote I know merely by chance. I for example
haven't used Windows for 11 years. Probably most people here do not
have anything else except GNU/Linux on their computers.

Yes it is unfortunate that he decided to gave up (too fast?), but it
seems to me you are overreacting with your accusations.

MagicFab
Desconectado
Joined: 12/13/2010

Le 2014-01-04 16:48, name at domain a écrit :
> What the hell are you talking about? This community is amazingly
> friendly and helpful. Many people tried to help (although it's
> definitely not the right forum for that). jxself's comment was just a
> funny one-liner, and he never attacked nor belittled the original
> poster. Did you even read the thread? Or were you too busy writing
> another of your self-aggrandizing and narcissistic rants? By the way,
> how old are you?
>
> Anyway, I understand you still don't use Trisquel, still don't share
> the project's ideals and still don't respect the community's
> guidelines, so will you please get the hell out of here?

There is quite some irony in a post demanding to follow guidelines,
starting with "what the hell" and personal attacks.

The guidelines are here, maybe it's time everyone reads them again:
https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/trisquel-community-guidelines

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez - XMPP/Jabber+OTR: name at domain
http://trisquel.magicfab.ca

antiesnob
Desconectado
Joined: 08/22/2013

Everyone should listen to MagicFab. He/she (don't know, sorry) is making a real clue on the situation of this forum.

I added to an off topic comment ("+2"); that's my bad and I regret. But WILL NOT TOLERATE personal attacks showed by some users who are also MEMBERS!!! Can you believe it?

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 02/01/2011

I was replying to the resident troll, you know, the guy who recently wrote 'SUCK MY DICK ASSHOLES' among many other insults. I have tried to ignore him for a long time, and only recently complained to the forum moderator, who did not reply to me.

Seems to me like your outrage is misdirected...

antiesnob
Desconectado
Joined: 08/22/2013

This message
"-1

What the hell are you talking about? This community is amazingly friendly and helpful. Many people tried to help (although it's definitely not the right forum for that). jxself's comment was just a funny one-liner, and he never attacked nor belittled the original poster. Did you even read the thread? Or were you too busy writing another of your self-aggrandizing and narcissistic rants? By the way, how old are you?

Anyway, I understand you still don't use Trisquel, still don't share the project's ideals and still don't respect the community's guidelines, so will you please get the hell out of here?
" posted by oyesterboy violates all three norms of conduct of this forum:
1- Discrimination: Don't discriminate against people based on (...) gender, (...) age (...).
2- Language: Express yourself without hard language (i.e. cursing). Social norms differ from place to place. Hard language could deter people from visiting our site, or from getting involved in our community.
3- Personal attacks: We don't tolerate personal attacks here. We encourage discussion. Disagree with others and challenge their ideas. Don't feed the trolls.

oysterboy

I am a member!

I am a translator!

Desconectado
Joined: 02/01/2011

Yeah, people in this thread were so mean it's a miracle OP managed to survive the onslaught of insults and derision. It must be interesting living in an alternate reality.