Screen is off at boot - ASUS X 200MA

14 respostas [Última entrada]
garbagebags

Well, everything was working great until I updated my system! Apparently this problem is prevalent for many distros Ubuntu-based and others. I've tried the FN key + Screen on/off and suspending the notebook by closing it and opening it and that doesn't work either. Anyone have an idea?

davidnotcoulthard (non verificado)
davidnotcoulthard

Remove newest kernel and reboot?

garbagebags

Not exactly sure how to get into the relevant menu/cmd to do that. I tried holding 'shift' to get into the kernel selection menu but it's not working either.

davidnotcoulthard

Try ESC (if holding doesn't work try pressing multiple times).

Magic Banana

I am a member!

I am a translator!

I guess you first need to boot the previous kernel to get a display (unless you can remotely connect to your system). You need to choose that previous kernel at GRUB's menu... and you need its password if you have not removed it. If have not, use a live system and read the password in /etc/grub.d/01_PASSWORD. Once you manage to boot your system, you can get rid on the GRUB password by making all lines in /etc/grub.d/01_PASSWORD start with "#" (you can execute 'sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/01_PASSWORD' to edit the file) and then executing 'sudo update-grub'.

garbagebags

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up having to do a reinstall and marking apt to keep the current kernel and ignore the update.

Totally happy with Trisquel otherwise! I've got a System 76 Meerkat on the way which I plan on installing Trisquel on as well. Hopefully I won't run into hardware issues but part of the fun is getting it to work right? >_<

Chris

I am a member!

You might need to replace the wifi card. System76 has or does ship with cards that depend on a non-free firmware component that Trisquel will not support... and of course the graphics is the other major thing. There shouldn't be any problems with replacing the wifi card as there are in several other manufacturers machine (ie Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, Apple, Sony, and HP are bad bad bad... they use digital restrictions in the BIOS to prevent users from swapping wifi cards with ones of there choosing).

garbagebags

The Meerkat uses an "Intel Wireless AC". I'm guessing there's no free driver for it. Not the end of the world I can use LAN as this unit will be right next to my router. The graphics card is an Intel HD5500. Couldn't locate it at h-node unfortunately.

davidnotcoulthard

I'm pretty sure the graphics card can work nicely with Trisquel.

As for Wi-Fi, you'll have to ask Chris but I think the laptop will run whatever replacement Wi-Fi card you throw at it, no?

Chris

I am a member!

Yea- that's correct. 99.95% confidant anyway it'll work if you swap it for an atheros 802.11n wifi chip.

The graphics should work too.. there is still a possibility of an issue.. as System76 does provide special "drivers".

mYself

> 99.95% confidant anyway it'll work if you swap it for an atheros 802.11n wifi chip.

This may not be possible at all as with a few exceptions, all recent Intel Wireless AC cards come in a different form factor (NGFF). Also, considering that this is a new computer, it may not be wise opening it up as that may void the warranty. Even if he/she will decide to open the casing, this will involve taking out the board as the wifi card is not accessible from the top. Since this is a desktop computer (that supposedly will be mounted on the backside of the monitor), I think it should be wiser to simply use a USB wireless dongle here. So no, in this case I would not recommend trying to replace the internal wifi card.

> as System76 does provide special "drivers"

What are you talking about? What "special drivers"?!

Chris

I am a member!

> This may not be possible at all as with a few exceptions,
> all recent Intel Wireless AC cards come in a different
> form factor (NGFF).

Yes- I know. Some are even soldered down or otherwise integrated so you can't replace them too. You'd have to check this. I don't know which boards System76 is using upstream, but Intel does have ones with both NGFF slot and ones without. From a quick look it definitely could be one of the boards with the NGFF slot.

While the 802.11n NGFF cards aren't as readily available as 802.11ac we have them here:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/wireless-n-dual-band-bluetooth-40-m2-combo-card

> Also, considering that this is a new computer, it may not be wise opening it up as that may void the warranty.

That might be true in many cases, but as much as I might have a distaste for System76's behaviour as it relates to free software I am a little doubtful opening a system from them would void the warranty. It is one thing if you damage it in the process, but another if you know what your doing and replace a wifi card. That said if one is comfortable doing so I'd suggest replacing the internal card in this particular system over going with USB.

Ultimately it is dependant on the circumstances, what one wants to spend, desire for speed, reliability, easy of install, etc. By this I mean if you can't do it yourself, but have the means (money), you can always just pay a third party to do it.

> What are you talking about? What "special drivers"?!

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/System76_Driver

* I believe it includes some third party proprietary bits and the like. I've only briefly looked through the sources/files. It's basically a python script that goes and makes changes to the system and installs those various bits.

mYself

> Yes- I know. Some are even soldered down or otherwise integrated so you can't replace them too.

True. The SDW (solder down) models such as the 3160SDW and 7260SDW are indeed integrated. I haven't noticed this.

> While the 802.11n NGFF cards aren't as readily available as 802.11ac we have them here

I didn't knew about this since WikiDevi hasn't listed them so far (EDIT: I was wrong, they're here however, it doesn't list specific cards based on the reference design). The mentioned card is a Foxconn T77H348.20 (Atheros QCNFA222) model, which is a dual WiFi/BT4.0 card. The wifi will work but the bluetooth part requires non-free firmware, unless yours was manufactured without the BT chip, which I strongly doubt that this is possible (hopefully, I'm wrong) (EDIT: the card has a bluetooth, I didn't notice it). However, that's some good news anyway.

> http://knowledge76.com/index.php/System76_Driver

I've tried to download it but their repository is inaccessible so I cannot look into it. Are these some out-of-tree patches (i.e. modules) for the Linux kernel?

EDIT: I found the WikiDevi entry for the wifi card: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Qualcomm_Atheros_QCNFA222

lembas

Indeed it is! :)

You might want to try the newer hardware stacks. Or the newer jxself kernels. https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/update-linux-libre-kernel